So what are the best types of chocolate for homemade chocolate making? Dark chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate - have you ever wondered just what the difference is between them? When it comes to creating your own homemade chocolate there are lots of different types of chocolate you can use, depending on your tastes and who you are making the chocolate for.
Do you know someone who is a vegan or is lactose intolerant? How about someone who is diabetic? There are types of chocolate which are better for homemade chocolate recipes, depending on your needs.
Here is a quick overview of the most common types of chocolate that you can use to make your own homemade chocolate:
- Unsweetened chocolate – Unsweetened chocolate is often used in baking to add a rich chocolate flavor to food. You can use unsweetened chocolate as a base to make sugar free chocolate and use something other than sugar to give the chocolate a sweeter taste. Many people that are diabetic or are watching their sugar intake will use unsweetened chocolateand add a sugar substitute to make their own sweet tasting homemade chocolate.
- Dark chocolate – Dark chocolate has no milk in it so it’s great to use as a base for people who can''t have milk products or choose not to eat milk products. The package lists the percentage of cacoa in the chocolate and the higher the percentage the closer to pure chocolate it is. It''s possible to purchase 95% cacao chocolate, which is very bitter.
- Bittersweet chocolate – This chocolate is slightly sweeter than unsweetened chocolate which contains no sugar but it still has very little sugar in it. If you want to make chocolate with a lot less sugar than other types of chocolate, but you don’t want to use a commercial sugar substitute, you can use bittersweet chocolate as a base for making homemade chocolates.
- Semi-sweet chocolate – Semi-sweet chocolate is slightly sweeter than bittersweet chocolate and it contains more sugar content than bittersweet, but it still has a lower sugar content than most chocolate does. Semi-sweet is one of the most popular type of chocolates used in candy making and is also often used most often for chocolate chip cookie recipes.
- Milk chocolate – Most milk chocolate is made with condensed or evaporated milk, making it a rich chocolate which has high levels of sugar and at least 12% milk or milk solids. Milk chocolate is very sweet and has a very low cocoa content so it doesn’t have the bitter or slightly harsh taste that most other chocolates have.
- White Chocolate – White chocolate is really a confection made of cocoa butter, sugar and milk and is not really a chocolate at all. It is often flavored with vanilla or other flavorings and is called chocolate because it contains cocoa butter. There is no actual cocoa in it.
Try experimenting with different flavors by mixing and matching different types of chocolate to see which you like best. A small amount touch of milk chocolate might give your semi-sweet homemade chocolate a little bit of richness that will really enhance the flavor.
Baking Cocoa can also be substituted for one 6-oz bag of semisweet chocolate morsels. Use 6 tbsp Baking Cocoa, 7 tbsp granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening.
Wellness Vacations are a great way to restore peace and harmony in your life. Find out how to choose one and possible destinations